Q: I currently sell ammunition. Can I continue selling it?

A: Yes, if you are a dealer in firearms licensed pursuant to section 400.00 of the New York State Penal Law (i.e., you have a New York State firearms dealer license) or you are a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL), you will be automatically registered by the New York State Police as a seller of ammunition and do not need to take any further action. Your FFL number will serve as your registration number.

If you are not currently a New York State firearms dealer or an FFL, you must complete the Seller of Ammunition Registration form below by January 15, 2014.

Q: Can anyone register?

A: No, the law prohibits individuals who have been convicted of a felony offense or who have been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility from selling or possessing ammunition.

Q: How do I register?

A: You must complete the Seller of Ammunition Registration form below. Simply provide the required information where indicated and mail to the address provided. A confirmation will be sent to you upon the successful processing of your application.

Q: I purchase ammunition for our police department. Can we still receive it directly from the manufacturer?

A: Yes. All units of government that employ either police or peace officers listed in sections 1.20 and 2.10 of the NYS Criminal Procedure Law are deemed registered Governmental Keepers of Ammunition. Governmental Keepers of Ammunition can purchase and receive ammunition directly from the manufacturer for the official use of police and/or peace officers in their employ. These units of government do not need to take any action to register.

Q: I run a shooting range and buy directly from the ammunition manufacturer. Can we still accept direct shipments of ammunition?

A: Yes, as long as you register as an Organizational Keeper of Ammunition you can continue to purchase and receive ammunition directly.

You can find the Organizational Keeper of Ammunition Registration and Sworn Statement form below.

Q: Who can register as an Organizational Keeper of Ammunition?

A: Anyone acting on behalf of an organization that runs and controls a shooting range, hunting club, training program, safety program, or competition club, where that organization provides ammunition for use on that range and not for retail purposes, can register as an Organizational Keeper of Ammunition. The rules are the same for not-for-profit and for-profit organizations.

Q: Does my registration have an expiration date?

A: No, your registration will not have an expiration date, however it is subject to revocation if you are no longer able to possess ammunition under federal law.

Q: Is there any background check now required for purchasers of ammunition?

A: Not yet. The SAFE Act provides that background check and record keeping requirements imposed on all retail sellers of ammunition are scheduled to take effect 30 days after the Superintendent of the New York State Police certifies that a statewide license and record database is operational for such a process. That certification has not yet been made as the system is being developed. Therefore, there is no set start date for that element of the law to begin. All sellers of ammunition will receive advance notice before the certification is made in order to ensure a smooth process.

Q: Do sellers of ammunition have to keep records on the sale of ammunition?

A: Not yet. Sellers of ammunition will not be required to keep records associated with the sale of ammunition or run background checks until the database has been certified as operational for such purposes. All sellers of ammunition will receive advance notice before the certification is made in order to ensure a smooth process.

Q: I have businesses at multiple locations. Do I need to apply for a separate registration for each location?

A: Yes. A separate registration will be required for each retail location that you have.

Q: I sell premium, high power BB guns, pellet guns, and paint ball guns. Do I need to register to sell ammunition for these items?

A: No. For this purpose, the term “ammunition” only includes any rimfire or conventional centerfire ammunition, or cartridges designed for use in any rifle, shotgun or firearm.

Q: I sell all of the components for reloading and black powder weapons. Do I need to register?

A: No. You only need to register if you sell completely assembled ammunition.

Q: My partner and I run the business together. Do we each have to register?

A: Yes. All partners and owners must register.

Q: I own a store that sells fishing and trapping supplies. During hunting season, I sell .22 caliber bullets and various gauge shotgun rounds. Will I have to register as a Seller of Ammunition to continue occasionally selling ammunition?

A: Yes. Any individual engaged in the commercial sale of ammunition, whether sporadically or full-time, will be required to mail a registration form to the New York State Police post marked by January 15, 2014.

Q: I have part-time staff that sometimes work behind the counter and sell ammunition. Do they each have to be registered?

A: No. Just the owner(s) and/or partners need to register.

Please note: This website is informational only and does not constitute legal advice.


Open Letter from NYS Police

The following open letter from New York State Police Superintendent Joseph A. D’Amico is regarding sections of the NYSAFE Act pertaining to ammunition sales going into effect on January 15, 2014. The aim of those provisions is to protect the public by keeping ammunition out of the hands of those prohibited from possessing it under federal and state law, including criminals and the dangerously mentally ill. 

The purpose of this letter is to update all New Yorkers regarding the requirements of the law.